Tuesday 24 September 2019

Welcome to autumn

"This is the weather the shepherd shuns;
And so do I,
When beeches drip in browns and duns,
And thresh and ply,
And hill-hid tides throb throe on throe,
And meadow rivulets overflow,
And drops on gate bars hang in a row,
And rooks in families homeward go,
And so do I."

Today made me think of this little poem by Thomas Hardy. The rain drips off the bird feeders as they make brief visits, shaking their feathers as when arrive. There is not much that looks more miserable than a soaking wet sparrow.
It is quite a contrast with yesterday which was sunny and much warmer than I expected. On the roadside the seed heads on the Burdock caught my attention. When I was young there was a fizzy drink called Dandelion and Burdock. I didn't fancy it then, and looking at them now, the thought still makes me shudder.
The best thing about all this rain is that the pots and tubs have had a really good soak and the water butt is full. In fact during one heavy shower there was so much water that the guttering and down pipe couldn't cope. I don't remember it being too bad last year. Perhaps it is time for a man and a ladder!

4 comments:

  1. I always associate Thomas Hardy with the Magnolia Tree, I remember reading once that he called the flowers 'Alabaster Chalices' and I loved that.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Dandelion and Burdock - I think you can still get it but daren't try it now in case I really didn't like it any longer.
    Love that little Thomas Hardy shall copy it to read at Poetry tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the poem: it sums up my day too. The sparrows here didn't seem too bad, though they tuck away in the berberis. It was the wood pigeon, sat on top of the feeder pole with his shoulders hunched and such a look of resignation, that made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read your verse of Thomas Hardy - most of the members knew it and also the verse for Spring - this is the weather the cuckoo sings - thanks for giving me a good choice.

    ReplyDelete